The site's been slow to take my changes, so, if things look buggy, try refreshing while you hold down the shift button.

David Cross's Blog

Huffington Post

The Slumbering Lungfish

Boing Boing

Stereogum

Nerve Scanner

Bill Maher

Wait. Wait. Don't Tell Me

City of Dis

Justice 4 Two Sisters.

Feministing

Click Here

My Amusement Park

Artifacts Modern

Crazy. Spoiled. Blitch.

When We Were Liars

I See Invisible People

Psychotic Patriot

Flamingo Jones

If you link to The Chicks, and you want me to mention it, email me (see my profile).

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Akeelah & The Bee




After watching the trailer for Akeelah and the Bee, I was filled with a horrible, dark cynicism. In the trailer, her classmates clap when she wins the spelling bee and act stunned when she shows she can spell "prestidigitation." Then, apparently, she goes on to show the spelling bee world, a world of "rich white kids" (even though, in all of the televised events I've seen, they've basically been vaguely Indian-looking nerdy mouth-breathing kids), that the good people of Crenshaw can spell.

I was our school's spelling bee champion in the fifth grade. There was no clapping. No one was stunned that I could spell anything. I was prepared to spell "floccinaucinihilipilification," if asked,
but the hardest word I was given was "committee."

For a brief moment, I entertained notions of going all the way. Like the naive dork that I was (and still am, to a degree), I studied really hard, sure I'd make it to DC. My mom would have press clippings to save. My dad would have something concrete to brag to his friends about, beyond "she gets good grades."

I got out on "achievement".

Yeah.

I've known how to spell that since I was four, but they said I put the "e" before the "i" which is such total bullshit.

I slunk away, dejected, my dreams of being somebody in the spelling bee world dashed. I came back to school. No one cared where I had placed. None of the kids even asked. The event did nothing to boost my standing in our small school's social network, and I was disappointed.

So, I watched the inspirational trailer with skepticism, but I couldn't help but see myself in the plucky Akeelah.

But, it makes no difference, I want to tell her. There's dictionary.com and spell checker. Besides, aren't most newspapers supposedly written at a 6th grade reading level? (Back in college, I remember a girl announcing proudly that she couldn't stand the intellectual bankruptcy of the Los Angeles Times (I lived in The Valley), and she got all of her news from MSNBC.com. Yup.) Big words turn people off. My boyfriend used the word "obscure" in casual conversation at work. He was mocked. No one claps for a word nerd.

No one.

So those kids clapping? That has got to be some sort of twisted fantasy sequence.

You could probably mesh our stories together and have the Mulholland Drive of the spelling bee world.

You know, the one where she wakes up and has a different name and goes crazy from reading too many shittily-written emails from people who could care less that they spelled "cat" wrong?

Damn.

I guess I'm not over this.

Comments on "Akeelah & The Bee"

 

Blogger Milo said ... (3:29 AM) : 

I won a spelling bee in fifth grade too. What's worse though is that at some point, I think in junior high, I tried to impress a girl by mentioning that fact.

Even now, the memory makes me want to completely kill myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

I won the spelling bee in 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. The fourth grade one really meant something to me because it was the first thing that I won, a medal. At one point it was pivotal point in my life story that I told an acquaintance. Now I feel really stupid for having so much faith in my ability to spell easy words like "believe". I mean, I was ready to spell words like champagne and campaign.

 

Blogger Usman Awais said ... (6:48 PM) : 

Best Arabic sweets in Dubai
Arabic Sweets in Dubai

 

Blogger CRKB IT SOLUTION PVT LTD said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Always look forward for such nice post & finally I got you. Really very impressive post & glad to read this.
Best Architects in Indore
Best Interior designers in indore

i heard about this blog & get actually whateveri was finding. Nice post love to read this blog
Approved Auditor in DAFZA
Approved Auditor in RAKEZ
Approved Auditor in JAFZA
Approved Auditor in DMCC

Good luck & keep writing such awesome content.

Virgin Linseed Oil BP
flaxseed oil
cms ed

I always search such wonderful blog and after so many efforts finally I got you. Keep writing the same
Pharmacy home delivery in UAE
Pharmacy near Business Bay

 

post a comment
eXTReMe Tracker

 

 

"In affiliation with CafePress.com"