The site's been slow to take my changes, so, if things look buggy, try refreshing while you hold down the shift button.

David Cross's Blog

Huffington Post

The Slumbering Lungfish

Boing Boing

Stereogum

Nerve Scanner

Bill Maher

Wait. Wait. Don't Tell Me

City of Dis

Justice 4 Two Sisters.

Feministing

Click Here

My Amusement Park

Artifacts Modern

Crazy. Spoiled. Blitch.

When We Were Liars

I See Invisible People

Psychotic Patriot

Flamingo Jones

If you link to The Chicks, and you want me to mention it, email me (see my profile).

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Favors.

Apparently, the records were considered "Satanic."

People were really paranoid about the occultish power of pop music back in the '70s and '80s (probably before too, but I was at least alive to witness the '80s). I went to a Christian school, and our music teacher (who, apparently, was recently caught cheating on her husband with the school plumber (or something like that)) told us that rock/ hip hop/etc music had a Satanic influence because of the drum beat. She cited "evidence" of this influence, stating that, in Africa, the heathens there would become demonically possessed just by listening to a drum beat. Even Christian rock music was dangerous, she'd said.

Strangely, though, the shitty country music she'd bring in didn't count on the list of Satanic drum beats.

But she ended up having five kids (maybe more. This was just when I left the school).

Someone likes to get freaky.

Comments on "Favors."

 

Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said ... (5:51 AM) : 

yes but steve "the nose" perry? how could you.

 

Blogger Trish said ... (8:06 AM) : 

The country music drove her into the arms of the married, school plumber guy. she should have been more careful in her choice of music. ;)

 

Blogger Eeeeekkk said ... (11:53 AM) : 

I don't care what anyone says. 'N Sync, Jessica Simpson, and Back Street Boys are FAR more satanic than any 80s metal band. Everytime 'N Sync shows up on TV I expect one of their dance moves to be spinning their heards 360 degrees like the kid in the Exorcist.

 

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said ... (6:42 AM) : 

Yes, the "Anapestic beat" or something like that was suppose to cause your heart to stop dead. And if you play AC/DC and other rock music backwards you get all the evil demonic messages like "I am the muffin man" - we used to have special lectures in our christian school with videos on the evils of rock music - I remember my parents throwing out my brothers abba tapes - leaving him with only his showtunes and barbara streisand (yeah, he was on the road to hell anyway and they never picked up the signs).

 

post a comment
eXTReMe Tracker

 

 

"In affiliation with CafePress.com"