The site's been slow to take my changes, so, if things look buggy, try refreshing while you hold down the shift button.

David Cross's Blog

Huffington Post

The Slumbering Lungfish

Boing Boing

Stereogum

Nerve Scanner

Bill Maher

Wait. Wait. Don't Tell Me

City of Dis

Justice 4 Two Sisters.

Feministing

Click Here

My Amusement Park

Artifacts Modern

Crazy. Spoiled. Blitch.

When We Were Liars

I See Invisible People

Psychotic Patriot

Flamingo Jones

If you link to The Chicks, and you want me to mention it, email me (see my profile).

Powered by Blogger

Monday, May 01, 2006

Klosterman



I love humorous essays, but good ones are hard to come by, especially since everyone blogs for free now anyway. I salivate over Dorothy Parker's reviews. I only read The Atlantic Monthly for Sandra Tsing Loh, whom I've actually met (I'm not saying this to brag. But it did make me very giddy!) And Sarah Vowell was the only thing that got me through traffic court.

I was really giddy to discover Chuck Klosterman. After reading his essay on The Sims in Barnes & Noble, I was hooked, and I picked up Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

Today, I saw a girl reading Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, and just like the guy in that song Breakfast at Tiffany's says, I thought to myself, "Well, that's the one thing we got."

But just because you both like a book (and how do I know she even liked the book. She could've been completely and totally disgusted by the book. Possession hardly means affection!), it doesn't mean you'll like each other or have anything else in common for that matter.

I just knew if we spoke, red minus signs would appear over her head -- the double ones, where you've really fucked up -- the kind that only appear when you choose "slap" on someone you just met.

And my social meter would be all red, and I'd wave to my sim god and beg for some interaction.

Plus, I had somewhere to be.


Comments on "Klosterman"

 

post a comment
eXTReMe Tracker

 

 

"In affiliation with CafePress.com"